Tuesday, May 5, 2009

getting started - doubling/tripling

Beth asked: Could you please explain sometime the double and triple coupon phenomenon? Do you have to have 2 or 3 identical coupons or does the store give you double or triple value for one? Also, do some stores do that all the time or only on certain days?

Doubling and tripling coupons is something I never appreciated until I started couponing. The basic principle is that a store will double or triple the face value of an individual coupon up to a certain amount.

So, you may see that a store's policy is to triple coupons up to .35. That means that if you have a .35 coupon - the store will "triple" the value of it to $1.05.

If you have a .25 coupon - the store will triple the value to .75.

My stores triple coupons up to .35 and double coupons up to .50. So, if the coupon's face value is between .36 and .50 - it gets doubled.

A .45 coupon will double to .90. A .50 coupon will double to $1.00.

Policies vary by store. My Kroger will double or triple up to 3 like coupons at any time. That means I can use 3 Angel Soft .50/1 coupons and all three will triple to $1.00. I could use a 4th coupon, but it's value would just be the .50 - it won't triple.

The limit is only on "like" coupons - so I could use 3 .50/1 Angel Soft, 3 .50/1 Mahatama Rice, 3 .50/1 Eggland's Best eggs and so on.

My Tom Thumb will only double/triple one like coupon per transaction. So, I could use one .50/1 Angel Soft and it would double to $1.00. If I use a second one, it's value will only be .50. Again, I can double/triple one coupon for each different individual product I'm purchasing.

In some areas, the grocery stores only double/triple during certain times - like Harris Teeter in some areas. The store will usually limit how many coupons you can double/triple at a time - so many couponers will make several trips into the store.

Your store's ad may have their coupon policy printed in teeny tiny print somewhere in their ad. You can also check their website. Policies may change from store to store within the same chain - your best bet is to call your store and ask what their doubling/tripling policy is.

The beauty of doubling/tripling is when you are able to combine it with a great sale to get products Free or really cheap.

Hopefully that answers some questions - please let me know if you have more!

(Next up - shopping for produce, dairy, and meat)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I just thought I'd tell you that you've inspired me! I think I told you that I've been spending in a week what you spend in a month on groceries. I do have 6 people instead of 4 and two of them are teenagers with hollow legs, but STILL.

    The last 2 weeks JUST by shopping the sale items ( I never even paid attention much before, just bought whatever) and by using a handful of coupons, I've cut back from $250 to $190 the first week and $175 the second week.
    I still have much to learn, but this is fun! And awesome! How could I have never done this before now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - Great job!!! It is fun, isn't it? I can't believe how much money I wasted before learning how to coupon. I'm thrilled for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete