Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The importance of the EF

Emergency Fund 101

We severely depleted our EF over the first few months of 2009 (plumbing fun, etc). Instead of buckling down and re-filling it like we should have, we just continued following our regular budget. And then July happened. Ugh. Lesson learned.

Ted to the vet. Electric bill $140 higher than the previous month. AC went out (which may explain the higher electric bill) to the tune of $340.

So, this month is super, super tight. We're hanging in there, selling stuff on ebay and I may do a garage sale.

It's a big red arrow pointing to the need for the $1000 Emergency Fund. All of this month's extra, unexpected expenses could have been covered with that amount.

We're going to get through this month, pay everything, and then it's Operation Emergency Fund. I'll track our progress here. Care to join me?

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with getting that EF filled back up! I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I just went to the bank yesterday and put some $ towards ours. We are expecting a check from our HSA account and part of that will go towards the EF. The rest will pay my dentist bill. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you are awesome.

    That is all.

    xo

    ReplyDelete