Sunday, May 17, 2009

This Month - 5/22 - 6/18

I read this post about a Family No Spend Month the other day. Their goal is to limit their family spending to $250 for a month.

The $250 includes:
  • food & eating out
  • gas
  • clothing
  • coffee
  • household necessities
  • entertainment

Not included:

  • tithes and other gifts
  • house payment, insurance, bills
  • health expenses
  • work expenses
  • savings
  • investment
For several months now, I've been beating myself up about our spending. We are loosely following Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover, but I'm not doing a great job with maintaining our envelopes. I also have a hard time making myself budget for eating out. As I've said before, I have a hard time admitting to the fact that we do it. I try to make myself believe that if I don't plan for it, we won't do it. And that's just ridiculous. Grow up, Wendy!

SO, here's what I'm planning. I need to get a handle on exactly where our non-grocery/HBA dollars are going. I don't want to cut my usual $250 for groceries/HBA (although I would like to try the $250 for everything challenge eventually). I'm going to give us a budget of $500 for a month and break it down into $125 per week.

$125 per week for:
  • food & eating out
  • gas
  • clothing
  • coffee & beer making supplies
  • household necessities
  • entertainment
  • crafting supplies
  • gifts

My plan is to stick to that budget and track my spending in those categories. That way, I'll have a better idea of how to distribute our money in the envelope system. However, if this system works for us, I might just stick with this. Working = living comfortably within these limits while finding ways to cut expenses further.

I'm leaving myself the option of redistributing the amounts - rolling any extra forward to the next week. $500 is set in stone, though.

Here's where you come in. I'm going to track our spending here. In a perfect world, I'll update daily. At the very least, I'll update our spending once a week.

This is a great month to follow along if you're just getting started couponing. We've been hitting the stockpile hard this past month, so I'm in a rebuilding phase. I'm out of RRs and ECBS, so I'll be working on slowly building those back up.

I'm not a big menu planner, so I think I'll try to post "after the fact" menus every couple of days or so.

I'm having a garage sale next weekend. The garage sale money is going straight into savings. We have some upcoming expenses. Derek's in a wedding in June - I'm not sure what our expenses will be with that. I'd like to get a toddler bed for Kira - I'm thinking from Craigslist. I'm still deciding on what I'd like for the kids' schooling in the Fall - again, not sure exactly what our budget will be, yet.

So, what do you think? What am I missing? If anyone would like to join us in the $500 Challenge - I'd love to have you!

p.s. If you know me IRL (which I think is like 5 of my 7 readers), please don't think we're going into hermit mode. I can't track our entertainment budget if we don't get entertained!

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I know I spend way way too much too easily. I'm reading with interest! (Even if I'm too disorganized to play along right now. I'd probably be trying to sneak in all kinds of things under "health expenses" -- does mental health count?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dave and TMM. I've tried the envelopes, but BD just isn't into being that strict. We do have a budget though, even if we don't mark everything down like we should. Just knowing there are boundaries and limits helps balance the spender (him) and the saver (me). Help me out though...HBA=?

    ReplyDelete