Sunday, June 7, 2009

yesterday's eating

Oh y'all, we ate good yesterday!

Breakfast: the last of the leftover pizza (oh so healthy) and honeydew melon (that's better)

Lunch: I made a variation of Taco Style Lentils and Rice - I sauteed about 1/3 cup of chopped onion in olive oil and used that instead of the onion powder, used Better than Bouillon instead of bouillon cubes, and added a couple of tablespoons of salsa. We ate it with chips, guacamole (made from frozen avocado puree - thanks Teri!), grated cheddar cheese, and salsa. It was my first time to make it and it was really, really good. The kids really enjoyed it, too.

Dinner: Derek made Chapatis - basically an Indian tortilla made with flour, yogurt, a little oil, and a little salt. We used those for soft tacos (Derek and I) and quesadillas (the kids) with ground turkey italian sausage. Derek cooked the sausage with fresh spinach and salsa. We sprinkled grated cheddar on top. So, so, so good!

Snacks: honeydew, chips - although there wasn't much snacking today. All of our meals were really filling and the kids ate all of them surprisingly well.

Where did the food come from?
The turkey sausage I bought a couple of months ago for $2.99/lb at Whole Foods
The cheese, onion, salsa, chips, honeydew and yogurt were from this week's shopping (last Sunday and Friday).
The spinach was from last week.
The flour, rice, lentils, and oil were from the stockpile.
The huge bag of avocado puree was from my friend Teri, who happens to be a chef. She gave it to us awhile back and we froze it.

This is why I actually love shopping and cooking like this. Tonight's dinner came together from what we had and it was so delicious. I can try to give more detailed recipes, if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

  1. We love the Taco Style Lentils and Rice as well. It's one of the kids' favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So delicious! Last night I made meals for most of the week: tomato basil soup, Spanish omelet, and chicken (for Jamie, the only meat-eater here). Tonight, more from my "stockpile"--not really, just not stuff that I just bought. Feels great to be in control like this!

    Question: Is there a site/resource that highlights the best deals for particular products for the week? We need toliet paper and some other little things and I would like to know where to go this week without having to go through every post out there (I just get too distracted). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete